Hatteras Sailing Organization
Inspiring independence, seamanship, and respect for nature.
Why Sign Up For Sailing?
- Sailing is a lifelong sport fun at all ages
- Sailing can take you on worldwide adventures to cool places
- Margaritas and Sunsets
- Get outside and enjoy our beautiful island
- Saturday sailing practices are great when mom and dad are working
- Summer Sports are great for kids when school is out
- Sailing is a whole industry with lots of job opportunity
How Can I Get Involved In Sailing?
All ages and skill levels are welcome at Hatteras Sailing
Regardless of age, you are invited to get involved with our Community Sailing Organization, Hatteras Sailing. The best way to get involved is to learn to sail in a sailing camp or adult training session. These camps and training sessions are designed to teach the basics to beginners and grow on those skills as you progress.
Sailing programs are broken into age groups that make sense for the boats we sail and the ages the participants. Our goal is to make sailing affordable and fun for Hatteras Island Residents. All residents are eligible for scholarship to make these educational programs affordable. It’s super simple and not embarrassing, complete this short scholarship application form. Once the scholarship is approved, we will send you a coupon code to register online.
Don’t be afraid to ask questions.
We have so much fun sailing. No questions are too basic. Let us know your sailing goals, any questions you have, and how you want to be involved. Our mission is to help you get involved with sailing. Hatteras Community Sailing provides sailing instruction and competition to youth and adults on Hatteras Island to inspire independence, seamanship, and respect for nature. We provide lessons, classes, and camps to teach sailing, water safety, boat safety, and boat maintenance. We sponsor local and regional sailing competitions to promote the sport. We use sailing to build skill, character, and self-confidence for all participants.
Summer Sailing Sign Ups
Sailing For All Ages
Summer Sailing here on Cape Hatteras is all about learning and having fun. We kick off our season with our annual tradition of Sailing Raid style to the Canadian hole on June 10th. So sail, motor, paddle, or drive, but meet us at Canadian Hole for a fun soundside beach day of fun, sailing, food, and friends.
Adults: Sign up for Summer Training on the Flying Scot and get a group together to sail in the Annual One Design Regatta at Fishing Bay Yacht Club on July 22nd. Weekly Flying Scot sailing is for all skill levels. Summer training is set for Thursday night, but if any of the Flying Scot sailors want to organize a casual Wednesday beercan practice in addition to the formal training please reach out to the Program Director and set this up.
Junior’s Weekly Sailing: We really think its best to revisit what worked in year’s past – everyone loved Saturday sailing practice. This year, we will go back to that simple once per week Saturday practice with Optimists in the morning; 420 in the afternoon. Sunday afternoon will be a make up day for weather cancellations. That is 5 practices leading up to the Manteo Regatta as we did in years past. Regatta is not required, but lots of fun and highly encouraged.
- Beginner Collegiate 420 sailors are encouraged to attend camp, but may enroll directly into weekly practice given coach’s approval.
- Regular weekend practice for Optimist sailing requires mastery of certain basic sailing skills. To get up to speed please enroll in camp, arrange private lessons, or set up a group learning session.
2023 Summer Clinic: Adult Flying Scot Training$495.00 – $595.00
2023 Summer Weekend Sailing: Collegiate 420 (13-18 yrs)$295.00 – $395.00
2023 Summer: Weekend Optimist Sailing (8-12 yrs)$295.00 – $395.00
Summer 2023 Sailing Camp
The Cape is surrounded with water, the Atlantic Ocean on one side and Pamlico Sound on the other, so our exploration takes us to the water! We use our sailboats and coach boats to take the kids to hidden bayside beaches and sandy clam shoals where they can play in the shallow water and learn to sail. We learn basics of sailing on the same boats our sailing team sail and we get out on the big boats too. A week of jam packed water sports fun.Taught by Hatteras Sailing Coaches and junior sailors as assistant coaches. We learn to sail and have lots of fun with a variety of activities including
Camp Schedule and Sign Up Links
NOTE: If these dates don’t work for you, sign up for Anytime Camp. It just takes four sailors to make a camp. When we have 4, you will receive a payment link from us to confirm your registration.
|8-12||Explore Sailing Camp||June 12-16||Sign Up Here|
|13-21||Intro to C420 Sailing||June 12-16||Sign Up Here|
|5-8||Opti Kids Camp||June 21-23||Sign Up Here|
|8-12||Explore Sailing Camp||July 10-14||Sign Up Here|
|13-21||Intro to C420 Sailing||July 10-14||Sign Up Here|
|8-12||Explore Sailing Camp||Aug 7-11||Sign Up Here|
|13-21||Intro to C420 Sailing||Aug 7-11||Sign Up Here|
|8-12||Anytime 3-Day Camp||Any Week||Sign Up Here|
|13-21||Anytime 3-Day Camp||Any Week||Sign Up Here|
|8-12||Anytime 5-Day Camp||Any Week||Sign Up Here|
|13-21||Anytime 5-Day Camp||Any Week||Sign Up Here|
Opti Kids 5-8yrs Old
Anytime Camp For All Ages
Stay In The Loop
HCS Is Officially 501(c)(3)
Congratulations to Hatteras Community Sailing with special thanks to Gerry Linder. Back in 2020 when a group of parents launched Hatteras Community sailing, we never dreamed how challenging it would be to get non-profit status with the IRS for a kids sailing program … Read more
Apply for Sailing Scholarship
Our scholarship’s are provided to youth sailors who who apply through our application process. Scholarships awards are recommended by the program director and approved by the board. Recipients are chosen on merit, but sailors must apply to be awarded a scholarship. ..Read More
Bathhouse Sponsors Needed
Thank you to our sponsors for a safe and clean new bathhouse! Without our sponsors coming together, this would not be a reality for our sailing center. Please join me in thanking them! Given the state of the building at the Sailing Center, it was our goal over the winter 2022 to find a way … Read more
- 2023 Regatta Schedule2023 Regattas Chartering Club Boats for Regattas Travel regattas are optional to all sailors. 420 Race Team partnerships will be managed at the sole discretion of the coaches. Club boats are reserved for HCS race teams and members for all regattas. There is no fee for chartering an HCS club boat for local or travel […]
- How can I get involved in Hatteras Sailing?How To Get Involved In Sailing All ages and skill levels are welcome at Hatteras Sailing Regardless of age, you are invited to get involved with our Community Sailing Organization, Hatteras Sailing. The best way to jump in is to start learning to sail in a sailing camps or adult training sessions. These camps and […]
- 2023 Wind & Waves ResultsChallenges with weather aside, the 2023 Wind N’ Waves Regatta was a fun event for organizers and sailors. We are greatful to the KOA Rodanthe for hosting our event and looking forward to the upcoming Cape Hatteras Lighthouse Regatta on Sep 22-24, 2023. highlights were racing on saturday, the hot tub and pool, and the […]
- Adults Learn To Sail: Flying Scot Scrimmage 5/6/2023Our first group of Hatteras Island residents starteed learning to sail just six weeks ago. This afternoon, they put together what they’ve learned, went out on the water, and had a blast sailing against each other in a sporty scrimmage. This was the first match race scrimmage we’ve organized with our new one design Flying […]
- Spring 2023- Opti Practice #1Roll Tack Practice & Homework What happens during a race if my tacking technique is not as good as the sailor just behind me in a race? Learn the proper steps and posture for a roll tack. Watch yourself tack. Watch YouTube Videos on proper roll tack posture. Learn from comparing with a textbook roll […]
Hatteras Sailing is a sponsor and member supported organization. Thank you to all our local business and individual sponsors.
Support Hatteras Sailing
Become a Member
Hatteras Community Sailing (Hatteras Sailing) is a member-based organization, open to all, created to encourage sailing and competitive opportunities for our Island Youth.
Hatteras Sailing is a nonprofit community organization focused on inclusion of youth and adults who have a desire to learn more about our Island’s wonderful natural assets!
Sponsor Youth Sailing
Hatteras community sailing offers a wide variety of sponsorship opportunities. We need support to establish a firm and sustainable future for the Hatteras Sailing Organization’s US Sailing juniors program. Sponsorships are acknowledged in a variety of ways including a banner ad on our website, t-shirt logos, and recognition on our social channels. Click to learn more.