Hatteras Sailing Organization
Inspiring independence, seamanship, and respect for nature.
OBX Now Has A High School Sailing Team
Calling 8-12th graders from Manteo, First Flight, CHSS, or Homeschools…
Sail with other Outer Banks teens on the high school sailing team. 8-12th grades are eligible including students from Manteo, First Flight, CHSS, or homeschool. The sailing team is organized and coached by Hatteras Community Sailing for all junior sailors in the Outer Banks as a part of the South Atlantic
Interscholastic Sailing Association (SAISA).
Sailing is an exciting, challenging, and athletic sport. The top ranked sailing colleges are also the top academic colleges including the ivy league and military academies. Sailing looks great and stands out on college applications. All are welcome regardless of sailing experience or school district.
Last year Hatteras Community Sailing and Colington Yacht Club leadership worked together to spearhead the first ever High School Sailing effort for the Outer Banks. Kids from First Flight and Cape Hatteras participated, learned from scratch and competed against schools from Raleigh, Wilmington, Lake Norman, Beaufort NC, Charleston, Beaufort SC, Hampton and New Bern. The regattas were pretty massive! Lots of great sailors from the entire Southeastern Atlantic. Away Game” schedule is set by the parents and kids involved in an interest meeting before the season starts. Hopes are that we can form teams for each of the local districts here on the OBX Manteo, First Flight, Hatteras, and Ocracoke.
Team is forming now. Sign up before Feb 28. Practice starts in March.
Melges 24 Keelboat Program
Fast, Fun & Exciting
Sharpen your sailing skills on the one of best keelboat classes worldwide
Spring Break Sailing Camp
The Best Spring Break ‘Staycation’ Ever
Spend this year’s spring break touristing at home, Sailing with friends right here on the Outer Banks
Staying home this year? No problem. Spring Break Sailing Camp with Hatteras Sailing will be the absolute best way to spend your spring break regardless. Make memories with friends, cruise around, and play in the water adventuring in a whole new way right here in the coolest place on earth – our home on the Outer Banks.
Hatteras Sailing is pulling out all the stops to plan an adventure sailing camp to remember. Our coaches and volunteers are bringing out the whole fleet for this adventure so we can take the kids to hidden bayside beaches, sandy clam shoals, and maybe even over to Ocracoke. The focus is on adventure, fun, and seamanship basics, learning to sail the big boats with a variety of water activities mixed in depending on the weather conditions each day. A week of jam packed with fun and adventure. Specific location and activities are to be determined by the kids and parents. The goal is to introduce the kids to as many different types of sailing as we can during the week including:
- Melges 24 keelboat sailing
- Cruising on the Sabre 42
- Catamaran sailing on the Stiletto 27s
- Dinghy sailing on C420 and Optimist
Gathering interest now. If you’re interested, please let us know early. Together, we can plan the most fun adventure together.
Stay In The Loop
Coaches and Sailors from Hatteras Sailing travel to Kill Devil Hills to coach the 2023 Colington Yacht Club Junior’s Week Clinic. Jay and Meg Phillips spent last week coaching Outer Banks Youth during the 2023 Colington Yacht Club Junior’s Week. The clinic lasted all day for five days. Eight kids from 8-12 years old learned on the Optimist Sailboat and 6 teenagers learned to sail on the C420. Read More
“It am proud to see Hatteras Sailors competing on the national stage with sailors from Chicago, San Diego, and Annapolis. Every time we enter a regatta these kids make lifelong relationships and treasured memories they will carry with will them for the rest of their lives” says Hatteras Sailing Program Director and Optimist Coach, Meg Phillips. Read More
Two sailors from the Hatteras Community Sailing race team, Beau Phillips (age 9) and Seaton Hawpe (age 11) will compete in the 2023 Simmons Boatworks Optimist US National Championship hosted by Hampton Yacht Club in Virginia from June 30 – August 4th. Read More
Congratulations to Hatteras Community Sailing with special thanks to Gerry Linder. Back in 2020 when a group of parents launched Hatteras Community sailing, we never dreamed how challenging it would be to get non-profit status with the IRS for a kids sailing program … Read more
- 2024 Interscholastic Sailing SeasonOBX NOW HAS HIGH SCHOOL SAILING! Sailing is a lifelong adventure like no other. Hundreds of kids from all across North Carolina are participating … and now so can you. Open to 8-12th graders from First Flight, Manteo, Hatteras, Ocracoke, and Homeschools => Last year Hatteras Community Sailing and Colington Yacht Club leadership worked together […]
- Fri Sep-23, 2023: CHLOD Regatta Weather Update420s Will Sail on Sunday Each of the three weather forecasting models that we use here on Hatteras line up and predict the wind to be decreasing for sailing on Sunday. Phillips family is planning to head to the sailing center Saturday afternoon to begin clean up and prep for regatta sailing on Sunday. If […]
- Thu, Sep 21, 2023: Regatta Weather & Schedule UpdateThe National Hurricane Center has issued a Tropical Storm Warning and a Storm Surge Watch for all areas of the Outer Banks due to the expected impacts from an area of low pressure off the southeastern coast of the U.S. This developing system—which is currently identified as Potential Tropical Cyclone 16 by the National Hurricane Center, and which could […]
- Sep-19, 2023: Lighthouse Regatta Weather UpdateSep-19 08:30 am: A Weather Update from PRO, Jay Phillips At the moment, there is no low pressure system off of Florida or North of the Bahamas. While there are some pretty ugly forecasts for the weekend, they are regarding storms that do not exist yet and are very speculative. There is a very good […]
- US National Sailing Team Coaches To Lead Sailing Clinic on Cape Hatteras for Local YouthHatteras Sailing is hosting a USODA Horizon Training Clinic this September for Local Junior Sailors Hatteras Community Sailing is hosting a USODA Horizon Clinic for local and regional sailors September 21-22, 2023. The USODA is the United States Optimist Development Association and the governing body of youth sailing for sailors from 8-15 years old sailing […]
Hatteras Sailing is a sponsor and member supported organization. Thank you to all our local business and individual sponsors.
Support Hatteras Sailing
Become a Member
Hatteras Community Sailing (Hatteras Sailing) is a member-based organization, open to all, created to encourage sailing and competitive opportunities for our Island Youth.
Hatteras Sailing is a nonprofit community organization focused on inclusion of youth and adults who have a desire to learn more about our Island’s wonderful natural assets!
Sponsor Youth Sailing
Hatteras community sailing offers a wide variety of sponsorship opportunities. We need support to establish a firm and sustainable future for the Hatteras Sailing Organization’s US Sailing juniors program. Sponsorships are acknowledged in a variety of ways including a banner ad on our website, t-shirt logos, and recognition on our social channels. Click to learn more.