Learn mold/tool making, resin infusion, sailmaking and design, and sailboat rigging
Small Boat Building Seminar Hosted by Phillips Boatworks in Avon, Hatteras Island, North Carolina.
At Hatteras Community Sailing, we have discussed offering a boatbuilding program over the winter, using the Optimist as the example. This is what a 13 week Series would look like. Please let me know if you are interested in participating.
- Preparing the Plug
- Creating a Mold
- Preparing the Mold, Laminates, and Resins
- Stacking Laminates and Core Material in the Mold
- Setting up the Vacuum Bag for Resin Infusion
- Infusing the The Molded Parts
- Releasing the Parts from the Molds, Cleaning, Trimming and Dewaxing
- Putting the Deck and Bulkheads together
- Rigging the Hardware on the Hull
- Designing the Sail using Sailcut Software
- Cutting Sail Cloth Panels and Preparing for Sewing
- Sail Broad Seaming, Luff Tape, Leech Tape and Bench Work
- Rudder and Daggerboard Construction
So this would be the 3 month, 13 week program from January through April, great for a winter, small boat building project that teaches tool/mold making, infusion, small boat rigging, and some basic sailmaking. We would need to charge enough for the program to pay for materials and instructor time. Most likely there would be a Hatteras Community Sailing Member Discount and it would be technically hosted by Phillips Boatworks here in Avon.
Please let me know if you are interested. We would likely offer this on night a week as an in person, hands on program… but may also be able to video and offer the program in a video series format.
Sign up for the Waitlist
This form is to gauge interest in a workshop in boatbuilding techniques. We need a minimum of 10 students to make it come together usefully. If you are interested in participating, please sign up here to the waitlist. We will be in touch with more details when we’ve garnered enough interest.
Please also comment directly on this post and then everyone will benefit from all your questions.