$2,000.00 – $2,500.00
**Pricing is for the whole camp; not per person. Bring up to 4 sailors
Semi-Private 5-Day Sailing Camp for teens, college, adults
For beginner to intermediate sailors
- 9-12 am on M, T, W, H, F
- Private camp for up to 4 sailors
- Ages 13-18
- Collegiate 420, Hobie 18, and/or Flying Scot depending on the group
- Watersports activities – kayak, paddleboarding
- Boat Charter is included
- For beginner to intermediate sailors
- Swim-test required to participate
Each day of camp includes chalk talk, land drills, instructor demonstration, on the water instruction, snack time, and a de-brief. While we aim to offer a variety of instructional activities, nothing is a substitute for getting into a boat and learning to sail. The main focus of all our instructional activities will be maximizing time on the water. We will focus on basic knowledge, safety, and boat handling skills.
We have fun and our goal is that your sailor will leave the week wanting to come back and sail again with us or at your local sailing club back home. Each sailor is provided with a skills progression chart that the coaches will use to communicate with the parents. As the student masters the skills, coaches will initial sign off on that skill.
For 420 sailors, we staff camp with an experienced crew in addition to a lead instructor. We run our coach’s boat as a chase and early in the week we rotate beginners in/out of sailing with our experienced skipper.
Skills & Knowledge Covered
- rigging / boat parts
- wind awareness: direction & speed
- basic knots: square knot, bowline, figure 8, double overhand stopper, clove hitch
- capsize & recovery
- proper sailing posture and body position
- points of sail
- boat handling: tack, jibe, upwind, downwind
**Weather Policy: We hold camp regardless and offer a variety of other fun activities unique to Hatteras island when the weather is not perfect for sailing. Check out the optional weather activities here: https://hatterassailing.org/cape-explorer-day-camp/