Boat Handling Part 2
Chalk Talk – review
- Engage kids in discussion of last weeks sailing and what they learned in action while handling their own boats. Review boat parts and handling.
- Introduce the idea of sail trim based on upwind vs downwind. How were you able to get the boat where you wanted it to go even against the wind?
Get in the water
Capture the flag Sailing Game
Kids in boats with sails in light wind (no sails in heavy winds). We will need oars if the winds are heavy. Kids will team up 2 per boat. We played capture the flag in an earlier session, but just swimming. This week we will be in sailboats in teams with sails up. (assuming the wind is light enough)
Play two rounds and have the kids switch positions in the second round of the game.
Coaches will discuss the sailing with the sailors.
- Was anyone scared? Did you survive?
- Where was the wind? How strong was it?
- Who won the game? Why? How?
We need oars
We need oars for the beginners program so that on windy days we can row instead of sail. Please write us here to volunteer, sponsor oar purchase, or to offer suggestions.